Thursday, October 3, 2013

Apple Cake


As I mentioned in this post, one of my favorite activities in the Fall is to go apple picking.  The first few days, I am happily munching away on the sweet crispy apples, reminiscing about the fun times at the orchard and cider mill.  But I can never eat as many apples as I can pick and this apple cake is perfect for those extra apples.

This cake is incredibly moist, not too sweet, and big on apple flavor.  My dad used to make it all the time and I would often enjoy a thick slice for breakfast, dessert, a snack...really I couldn't get enough.  There was a restaurant in Taiwan that was known for their famous apple cake.  The cake was wildly popular and the chef ultimately shared the recipe in a local newspaper, which is how my dad got a hold of it and then passed it down to me.




Apple Cake 
Ingredients
3 crisp apples (I used granny smith but you can use whatever you have on hand)
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour

Directions
Peel and core the apples and slice into thin, one-inch pieces.  Set aside.  Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Grease a Springform pan with baking spray and lightly dust with flour.

Meanwhile, beat the 3 eggs until light and fluffy.  Continue to beat while pouring in the vegetable oil.  Then gradually mix in the sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.

Sift the baking powder and flour and mix into the egg mixture until fully incorporated.  Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the sliced apples so they are evenly coated with the batter.  Pour into the Springform pan and gently spread with the spatula so that it's even.

Bake in the oven for 50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.  Enjoy a slice warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or at room temperature with a cup of coffee.


1 comment:

Blogging tips